Bramboracka is the Queen of all Czech soups and defines the traditional Czech Cuisine. It is a dish which is loaded with treasures from the underground: mushrooms, root vegetable and, of course, the humble potato.
Each time I eat it I am filled with wonderful memories of my dearest grandma. It’s hearty, warming and comforting. It is filled with flavours and with amazing smells from the mushrooms, vegetables and freshly dried marjoram. For me there is nothing quite like a big bowl of grandma’s potato soup. So here is her version of this recipe – the way I know it, the way I remember it and the way I will be passing it on.
- 1,2 l vegetable broth (2 Knorr Vegetable Pots)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion medium size, finely chopped
- 400gr of potatoes, peeled, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 carrots cleaned, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 parsnip cleaned, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1/4 celeriac, cleaned, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 30 gr of dried and chopped forest (Porcini) mushrooms soaked in 1 cup of hot water
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp ground Caraway seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed or minced
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 piece of all spice berries
- ¼ cup of roughly chopped curly parsley
Place dried mushroom into a small bowl and cover it with 250mL of boiled water. Allow mushroom to soak for 20 minutes.
Add butter to the large skillet pan and sauté the onion over medium heat until soft and gold in colour. Then add 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour and whisk until lightly browned. Add one cup of cold water and whisk until flour makes a thick paste. (Never use hot water as this makes lumps).
Then gently pour the rest of the water into the pot and stir well. Add slowly vegetable stock (keep whisking), chopped root vegetable, potatoes and soaked mushroom with its liquid. Followed is grounded caraway seeds, bay leaves and all spice berries.
Bring it to the boil and cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked through and soft.
Only at the very end add crushed garlic, marjoram, freshly chopped curly parsley and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes then serve in a bowl. Soup tastes delicious on its own or with hearty slice of rye bread.
Enjoy! Dobrou Chut!
Photo Credit: Smartpress.cz